Five Major Points of New Bill Passed
The five major points of the bill are
FLORIDA CONCUSSION TASK FORCE
Group discussion of the Zackery Lystedt Law
a. Based on the discussion suggestions for modification were made to the current Zackery Lystedt Law as follows
- Requires all school districts to develop guidelines to educate officials, administrators, coaches, youth athletes and their parents of the nature and risk of concussion and head injury.
- Requires an informed consent to be signed by parents and youth athletes acknowledging these risks prior to practice or competition.
- Requires that a youth athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or head injury to be removed from play/practice. (“When in doubt, sit them out.”)
- Requires that a youth athlete who has been removed from play receive written clearance from a licensed healthcare professional that has been trained in the evaluation and management of concussion prior to returning to play/practice.
- Requires private and non-profit youth sports associations to be in compliance as well.